1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Pullet-Bantam or Standard?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by drom, Jun 14, 2008.

1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    I bought a BR standard pullet along with a S. Buttercup and EE. I am starting to wonder if maybe I got a bantam BR. They are all about 7weeks and the EE is huge-looks like a monster next to the other two. But even the Buttercup's head looks bigger than my BR. I thought BR were a heavy breed. She's a beautiful bird. But I would have thought she would be the biggest of the three.

How can you tell if they are bantam or standard when they are young?

Thanks![​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I would say is it smaller than your hand or larger than your hand? then by that analysis you can judge if it is bantam or standard at 7 weeks

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    If it looks about the size the EE looked 3 weeks ago then its probably a banty.

4. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    OK, so she is bigger than my hand. She just has kind of a tiny head though. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I just called the store that I bought all of them at and they said that the BRs were standard and all the EEs that they got in that batch are huge. So, hopefully there's no mistake and my BR is standard, which is what I wanted. My EE might be a bit of a freak. They believe they all hatched out around May 7. I wonder if maybe the EEs were just a little earlier than that.

Thanks for your replies!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by