Barred Rock Pullet Different Behavior/Noises?

Bokni

Chirping
Jun 14, 2021
Maryland
Our 18 week barred rock pullet is exhibiting some behavior that I thought I would check in with experts about. She is craning her neck and constantly making a “coo’ing” type noise with occasional noise louder noise (you can hear the louder noise at the 3-second mark..the coo’ing is gentle, but you should be able to hear it at:26 & :29). I can’t tell if it’s because of some distress or just something that she does. (We have only had them for two weeks).

I have attached a video….it’s only in the 80’s but it is humid out. Some overhanging trees well shade their run/coop.

Is this just usual chicken stuff, or is it something to be concerned about.

She sounds a bit weezy actually. How long has it been going on?

Perhaps something caught in her throat/esophagus (like a pellet of food) or maybe the beginnings of an upper respiratory infection/issue. If possible, I would separate her from your flock in a small dog crate to monitor her eating/drinking/BMs and breathing.

I've had a hen that got some grain stuck in her throat and she sounded a bit like a goose honking. Luckily it passed and she was back to her normal self.

Good luck.

I just noticed it about an hour ago. How long would you suggest separating her out, and are there specific characteristics of her BM that would be an indicator of another problem?

This wheezing sound could be a larynx infection or something stuck in her throat.

Does her poop look normal? When did you last deworm?

We have only had them for two weeks and they haven't had any deworming to my knowledge. I haven't seen her specific poop since we have started monitoring the situation.

At 18 weeks she looks a bit underdeveloped, as I would expect her face to show a nice reddish tone an her wattles and comb to be bigger.

I would deworm any new chickens, as this would prevent them from excreting worms eggs allover your yard and run.

At 18 weeks she looks a bit underdeveloped, as I would expect her face to show a nice reddish tone an her wattles and comb to be bigger.

I would deworm any new chickens, as this would prevent them from excreting worms eggs allover your yard and run.
My apologies. She is 16 weeks, not 18. (typo in my original post).

Do you think I should snag some deworming treatment and give that a try?

My apologies. She is 16 weeks, not 18. (typo in my original post).

Do you think I should snag some deworming treatment and give that a try?
That's what I would do.

And take a good look in her beak and down her throat to see, if some grain or grass or else might be stuck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom