Barred rock pullet frazzled messy feathers

tbass

Hatching
Sep 17, 2022
I have 2, 3week old chicks. One looks normal the other looks a mess!
The messy one hangs wings low and looks like it has bed head all the time.
I noticed it had labored breathing and treated it with vetrx. Breathing seems better but features are still really messy.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 16634147178168662772684769441925.jpg
    16634147178168662772684769441925.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 5
I have 2, 3week old chicks. One looks normal the other looks a mess!
The messy one hangs wings low and looks like it has bed head all the time.
I noticed it had labored breathing and treated it with vetrx. Breathing seems better but features are still really messy.
Any ideas?
That's their first mini molt . and it's actually not that bad. Birds go through molts and get frazzled feathers. They even get frazzle without molts, their birds it happens. They will bump into something. or get in a fight, nothing you can really do about it except make sure they get proper nutritional food. It all heals in time. Be patient.

Last edited:
Also becareful giving a chick a supplement or whatever you want to call the Vetrx. If you force drops down the wrong way in a birds throat you can easily kill it.
Vetrx is nothing more than Vicks Vaporub type stuff. It won't fix a respiratory disease.

That's their first mini molt . and it's actually not that bad. Birds go through molts and get frazzled feathers. They even get frazzle without molts, their birds it happens. They will bump into something. or get in a fight, nothing you can really do about it except make sure they get proper nutritional food. It all heals in time. Be patient.
Thanks. I have had several chicks never seen one look so messy.
I was more concerned with the loud open mouth breathing. That does seem to be better.
Thanks again for the reply.

After further inspection breathing is still labored a bit.

The chick doesn't seem to be preening because it sounds sick. Not all chicks thrive. I don't like to treat chicks because it always seems like it becomes a life long issue with them. You could wipe the chick a bit with a damp paper towel and see if the chick initiates self preening

What's the poop look like?

Have you treated for Coccidiosis?
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water given as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days. Give to both chicks.

Back
Top Bottom