1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock pullet or Black sex link roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dlgama07, Mar 30, 2016.

1. dlgama07

dlgama07 New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    Can anybody help me figure out what breed and sex he/she is? There was no sign on them at the store and when I asked the lady said she assumed they were barred rock pullets but wasn't for sure. Now at almost 6 weeks old his/her comb has reddened up and wattles are developing. I knew s/he was too dark to be barred rock roo but then I learned about black sex link roos. I can't tell the difference between them so thought I would ask on here. Anybody have any insight?
    P.S. it's the one in the back with the red comb and wattles, obviously ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    Was she/he black with a white spot on her head?

3. dlgama07

dlgama07 New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    Yes

4. TwinsLoveChicks

TwinsLoveChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    At the coop
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that Black Sex-Link cockerel chicks are black with a white spot, whereas pullets are pure black. On the other hand, I do know for a fact that Barred Rock pullets have those dark stripes on their feet and that cockerels don't. I had a Barred Rock cockerel for about a year and his feet were plain yellow.

I hope this helped!
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    black sex link cockerels do indeed have a white spot on the head, but so do pure bred barred Rock pullets. They're virtually identical as chicks, they both have the same single-barred characteristics.

I think it's a barred Rock pullet. At 6 weeks I'd expect a lot more comb for a little cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    X3

8. dlgama07

dlgama07 New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    Thanks everyone! I guess I just didn't realize pullets could get wattles so soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by