Barred Rock - Pullet or Cockerel ( almost 3 weeks)

HannahKline14

Chirping
Jun 21, 2020
Ohio
This chick is supposed to be a pullet I got her off of craigslist but the lady gets the chicks from hatcherys ( we've gotten chicks from her before)but of course hatcheries make mistakes too, it's like a 85-90% chance I got her when she was 9 days old along with 2 americanas she is now almost 3 weeks old ( 3 weeks on Tuesday) and I was suspicious than I posted on here and they all said pullet but she has a slightly bigger comb then the americanas but she is a different breed also, I've never had barred rocks or americanas so not exactly sure, she does have dark feathers and brown feet but a large white spot and I have had people tell me that they've had females with large blended spots before so any help would be nice!
20200711_133653.jpg
20200711_133701.jpg
20200711_133710.jpg
20200711_133716.jpg

Looks like a pullet.
The Americaunas are most likely not Americaunas because they are quite rare and hard to find. They are probably Easter Eggers which are basically mutts.
The reason the combs look different is because Easter Eggers have pea combs (most of them anyway), and BRs have single combs.

The americanas or easter eggers do have the cheek puffs and beards though is that something in both breeds I'm fine with either they both lay blue eggs right? And thanks for your help on the barred rock both of these are the same age do they both look like pullets? Sorry I'm asking so many questions I'm just recently getting into poultry and want to learn as much as I can🙂
20200711_135023.jpg
20200711_135028.jpg
20200711_135033.jpg
20200711_135039.jpg
20200711_135052.jpg

It's still too early to tell their gender. You have to wait until they are 6-8 weeks old.
Yes, Easter Eggers do have the muffs. Easter Eggers come from Americaunas or Araucanas, mixed with any other breed. So, they have the same general appearance as the Americaunas or Auracans, but they can be any color, have pretty much any comb (pea comb is the most common), and they can lay pretty much any color egg.
Usually, they lay either blue or green, but they can also lay pink or brown.
One single chicken will only lay one color egg throughout her life, and you wont know what color until she actually starts laying.

It's still too early to tell their gender. You have to wait until they are 6-8 weeks old.
Yes, Easter Eggers do have the muffs. Easter Eggers come from Americaunas or Araucanas, mixed with any other breed. So, they have the same general appearance as the Americaunas or Auracans, but they can be any color, have pretty much any comb (pea comb is the most common), and they can lay pretty much any color egg.
Usually, they lay either blue or green, but they can also lay pink or brown.
One single chicken will only lay one color egg throughout her life, and you wont know what color until she actually starts laying.
Ok thanks😀

Nothing is screaming male to me right now, but as @HappyClucker7 said it is a tad early. Try back at around 8 weeks for conformation, especially on the EE's. The BR is usually sexable based on it's headspot at hatch and is more than likely correct if it came from someone who breeds them regularly. (I do not breed BR, so I am not as skilled in the BR department)

Back
Top Bottom