Barred rock pullet or cockerel?

charlestonchickens

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Hello! I know there are many other forums of people asking the same thing and I have read them all, but I can't seem to figure out if my barred rock chick is a cockerel or pullet. He/she is about 3 weeks old now (I got them at Tractor Supply on April 4th). It had a pretty defined white spot on its head, dark legs, and grew wing and tail feathers very fast. But now its comb is growing in fast and pink which makes me worried. I know I can just wait and see but I'm dying to know! I already have 2 roosters and can't have another. This is my only barred rock chick so it's hard to compare, and I love their coloring so don't want to have to get rid of him/her. Any input would be amazing! I have 2 pictures here from today and one from 2 weeks ago. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpeg
    IMG_0906.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0660.jpeg
    IMG_0660.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 12
Male.

if you get rid of a male in your flock, you have several months before the hormone surge in this guy starts to cause problems. Hopefully the extra times helps you decide who to keep.

Thank you, I didn't think about that!

around 16 weeks or later is when crowing attempts are made (can be earlier, but less likely with other older males in the flock). Fighting for girls will begin a bit later...20 weeks or older. Again, with older flock mates, he’ll learn some manners too and will learn his place. Of course, at some point he’ll put up a fight for some girls.

advertise at feed store, CL, or use a livestock auction or go to a livestock swap in your area.

Back
Top Bottom