Barred Rock? Pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aimplus4, Apr 13, 2012.

1. aimplus4

aimplus4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Louisiana
    This is Dora. My daughter's chick. I was not told the breed from TSC because she was in a bin with many other breeds. I got her along with Frances whom I posted about in another post as to breed and gender. I think she is a Barred Rock and am hoping a pullet. Any help on this baby is appreciated.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Looks like a rooster to me

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm leaning more towards a marans because of the leg color but hatchery chicks can have an off leg color...gender wise i would wait till we are feathered out more say in about 2-3 weeks but im leaning towards cockerel right now

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I agreed with hdowden, looks more like a Cuckoo Marans to me. Rocks have yellow legs and Marans have pink legs. He's looking like a cockerel as of now.

5. aimplus4

Apr 13, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys for the input. Cool if "she" [​IMG] is a Marans but not cool if a cockerel..... looks like I have a few cockerels already :(

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Leaning toward cockerel as well, sorry.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I believe it is a Marans cockeral as well because of the leg color as well. :thumbsup

8. doulachicknmama

doulachicknmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Texas
    I dunno...I think the coloring is true barring, so I'm leaning towards Rock, but it does look like a cockerel

9. aimplus4

Apr 13, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys!! I think I will change his name to Diego lol but my daughter still insists it's a girl! She's 4 so she knows everything! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by