Barred Rock... Pullet or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TCBsnapshot, Mar 14, 2013.

1. TCBsnapshot

TCBsnapshot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Central California
    I am new here and excited to raise chickens.

Picked up this Barred Rock up today. Let me know your best guess. I can get better pics tomorrow if needed.

Thank you!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Sorry, way to early to tell

3. jen85

jen85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Hard to tell. It's a cutie though! Do you only have one chick?

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    male [​IMG]

5. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Better pics would help. Straight down on top of head, and the leg and feet. If the white spot on head is concentrated and the yellow feet are shaded in the front then a pullet. If the white spot is spread out and the legs are all yellow then cockerel. You can also compare the coloring if you had a few because when they start to feather out the cockerel will be much lighter than a pullet that would be much darker.

6. TCBsnapshot

Mar 14, 2013
    Central California
    All my other chicks were different breeds. I'll try to get some better pics.

The spot on top of the head is pretty focused. The legs and feet do have black splotches. Idk, hope it says a pullet cause I love the look of Barred Rocks.

7. HD Chick

HD Chick Out Of The Brooder

I have three BR chicks; one pullet 4 months old and two hatched on March 4. There's an excellent article somewhere in this forum talking specifically about how to sex BR chicks with almost 100% accuracy even just a few days old. You may want to check under the specific breed in another part of this forum. They attached photos. Sexing has to do with how tight the white spot on the head, and the washing of gray on the front of their legs. One of my chicks has a spot like on yours. Wishing you luck with your cute chicks.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x2

9. TCBsnapshot

Mar 14, 2013
    Central California
    I think I found the post you were talking about... As much as it was informative it was confusing. So many people went back and forth with what theirs looked like and what it actually ended up being. Thank you for the input and I hope your chick is what you desire as well. Thanks!

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    leaning towards a pullet repost when all the wing feathers have come in

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by