Barred Rock Pullet?

KFox

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Is this a barred rock, dominique or something else?

Pullet or cockerel and any guess on an age?

87461_br_or_d.jpg

She doesn't look like my barred rocks. Her eyes are really big.

I'd ask her previous owners but I'm not sure they really knew much about chickens.

She looks like a Barred Rock pullet to me. Single comb, right? Hard to tell from the angle, but appears to be a single. Coloring is right for a pullet, too. Definitely not a Dominique since they have rose combs.

I'm curious. If she doesn't look like your BRs, and since I raise them and she does look like one to me, then what do your BRs look like?

Here's one of my current young 10 week old BR pullets. Maybe mine is a week or two older:

DSCN2474.jpg

She looks mostly like them except she is built a lot smaller and has much bigger eyes. I guess it could be the difference in breeder vs. hatchery?
idunno.gif

Mine:

87461_hpim1494.jpg

The new girl is supposed to be 24 weeks old next month. My girls are only 8-10 weeks old and they bigger than new girl.

That new girl is nowhere near 24 weeks old. Can't believe someone would say that, it's crazy. That's a chick. By 24 weeks, she'll probably be laying eggs already. None of those are breeder type BRs, all are hatchery types, so that isn't the difference. The new girl is probably 8 weeks old. The "breeder" is breeding from hatchery birds.

That is what I thought!

I almost didn't take her but I couldn't leave her.
hide.gif

There's probably nothing wrong with her-you were just mislead as to her age. I love BRs, always have. Anyone can call themselves a "breeder", but you got her from what I call a "propagator". She is just like BRs you get from most big hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom