Barred rock pullets or BSL cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlazeJester, Apr 13, 2012.

1. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I got 6 barred rocks from TSC knowing that my chances were pretty bad getting any pullets, but I did my best and I gave them the benefit of the doubt I wasn't getting absolutely screwed. They're now 6 weeks old and I have no idea. I know for CERTAIN that one is a BR cockerel. Based on the feather color/fuzzy barring, the others should ALL be pullets. However, I know for certain that one is a cockerel (behavior, slow feathering) and am noticing some pink on others.

Several chicks, the ones that feathered out like pullets, developed dark leg wash around 10 days old. They had not had these dark legs as chicks.

Please help me decide if I got really lucky or really screwed. Please excuse the crooked photos, they're not messed up until they get to the forum and I have no idea how to fix it.

My for certain BR boy (the comparison point for the others):[​IMG]

This one is making me nervous; notice all the pink in the face; he has the most pullet-like feathering, but has some lighter chest feathering, which my barred rock pullets did not have (the EE behind him was sexed PULLET - haha, NOT!!!):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another of the chicks (they all have lighter chest feathers):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple group shots (I cannot tell one from another except the BOY) - the EE with them is also a boy:
    [​IMG]

O pullet, where art thou? This is the other one I am convinced is a roo. I have been convinced about him since he was 2 days old.
    [​IMG]

The group as baby chicks (ALL of them looked the same at the feed store and NONE looked black, had evenly-shaped head spots or dark leg wash):
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Other than your obvious cockerel, I'm not seeing anything that doesn't say pullet. Many hatchery BRs have the black wash on the legs. I just went back to look at my BR's 6-week shots, and she had pink in her face/comb area and the black wash. She looked pretty much like yours. I think you're safe. How do you know the EE is male? You going by the red in the wings????

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Well that would be stupendous - maybe I won't have to plan so many dinners, soups and salads after all!!!

The first EE has a LOT of red in the wings and patchy coloring all over. Classic boy. The other, white/black one is a pretty typical color for EE roos and has a very pronounced, pink pea comb. I'm ok with that, I may actually keep the second EE if he's nice.

I ALSO have two light bramha boys - I just plain struck out with the "try it and see" method this year. Hopefully these BR ARE girls and will be able to cover their expenses later in life.

4. texas75563

texas75563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    Linden, Texas
    Yep, I agree. Just the 1 roo for the barred rocks. You will notice he is lighter in color than your pullets. Of course his comb is larger and his wattles are more visible. I can't see his legs roo should be yellow legs, pullets should have some black on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by