Barred Rock Pullets

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 2theranch, Aug 30, 2016.

1. 2theranch

2theranch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    Decided to buy BR pullets for the first time, heard they were great layers. They have been laying since they were about 22 weeks old but eggs very small and inconsistent. They are good foragers and friendly but so far not good layers. The gold sex links that were hatched at the same time are excellent. They lay almost every day, large to almost extra large milk chocolate colored eggs, and started laying at 21 weeks. Anybody else have this problem w/barred rocks. If we stay here I am going to get a bunch of different pullets chicks so we can get our rainbow free range eggs going again. Some of my hens are older and have slowed down a bit but I do not eat my chickens!!

2. 564major

564major New Egg

Oct 26, 2015
    my BR started laying a few days shy of 5 months old. The first eggs were small, but have gotten bigger to "normal" after about 2 weeks.
    The BR that I got last year started laying normal to big eggs and I never got a small one from them.
    White rocks started laying about a week later and have big eggs! RIR same age as all the others and haven't laid the first egg yet. I got 10 of each breed that all are now 22 weeks. They all eat the same and have the same exposures.

3. 2theranch

2theranch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    our chickens are all free range, supplemented with gmo free organic feed, come in to roost in their house at night. this is first time I have had barred rocks(only bought 2). we will wait and see if they start laying bigger eggs. the gold sex links are exceptional layers and pretty birds, eggs are dark brown, rusty brown, or sometimes speckled, not chocolate brown, that is a typo[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by