Barred Rock Pullets. . .

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Autumn Acres, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Autumn Acres

Autumn Acres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi there! My name is Autumn, and I'm brand spankin' new to this forum (and raising chickens for that matter!). I recently bought 6 "pullets" from the local feed store. I supposedly received 1 white leghorn, 2 araucanas, 2 buff orpingtons, and 1 barred rock. BUT, two of my chicks were black. . .which should have been my first indicator that I didn't get what I thought I did! So, the point of my story was that I thought I had 2 barred rocks. But now, one is obviously different from the other at 3 weeks old. The one with more white doesn't look like any of the photos of male barred rocks I've looked at so far. This chick does have the very sooty looking legs, but just has a ton of white on it already, whereas the other barred rock is just dark black with little bits of lighter coloring (like normal). So now I'm wondering if I didnt get an entirely different breed??! Not sure how to post photos (I think as a newbie, I can't), but hoping that a link might work?

http://s1096.photobucket.com/upload/albums/Jeepgirl10/

If that doesn't work, try this: http://www.facebook.com/MissoulaEvents (I have it posted as a wall photo on Facebook).

Thank you all in advance for bearing with me!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    wish i could help but im new to it too, thought if i gave it a bump people with more kowledge might reply

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Sorry, neither of your links work [​IMG]

[​IMG] try posting some, that unlocks your capability to post pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  4. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    Your facebook link worked for me and you have 1 barred rock and the other black and white one is an Easter Egger (your araucanas are really Easter Eggers) On gender the barred rock is a girl and on the Easter Egger give it a few more weeks.

5. Autumn Acres

Autumn Acres Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks! I can sleep a little bit easier tonight knowing that I have a few more weeks before I can panic all over again [​IMG]

6. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Just sayin' hello... because I'm brand new, too. [​IMG] I'll probably be just as panicky in a couple of weeks after I p/u my first set of chicks.

- Kim

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I'm not a facebook person, but as others have said, your first link doesn't work.

8. worm

worm New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    I tried the first link, and searched for "jeepgirl10".....I saw a picture but it was not of any chicks![​IMG]

9. Big Cat

Big Cat New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    here ya go

[​IMG]

10. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    The dark one to the right looks like my Barred Rock, Roxie. I don't recognize the other dark one.

Lovely chickens! You will be delighted to be a chicken farmer. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by