Barred Rock Puzzler...Is She Trying to Freak Me Out?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Aug 16, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it's a little puzzler, anyway. Could be this pullet is just developing pink in her comb REALLY early or she's cockerel in pullet's clothing, LOL. I really do think it's a pullet, but the pink in the comb at just under four weeks old is disconcerting. Hey, maybe she's sunburned! [​IMG]

~For lockedhearts: No, she isn't from Amanda, Zoe's mom, or I'd think we had another RuPaul on our hands!~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    ????? not real sure.......Comb says roo........color and waddles say pullet. You might just have to wait longer to be sure. Sorry [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

BRs are usually super easy to sex, but on occasion, I get one that makes me go "Hmmm".

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Cynthia,

I think that you have a pullet... I think I see a tail coming in already.

Chris

5. speckledhen

Chris, I'm sure it's a girl, even though one of my flock did produce a super dark cockerel a couple years ago. The early pink in the comb makes me want to say, "Kids are growing up soooo fast these days!" LOL. She does have a tail coming in, yep.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I say girl. I'll be watching to see if I'm right. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

It is just odd seeing a 4 week old BR pullet with that much pink--they don't usually get that till they are closer to 10 weeks old.

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Ya, my girl's comb came in early and I was sure it was a little Roo. But she is a real good layer and one of my Sicilian Buttercup Roos favorites.

But just to be different and to stir things up a bit, I am going to say a hen feathered little Cockeral.

I'll even subscribe to see how she grows.

9. speckledhen

We noticed that "her" wattles are also red. At four weeks? Other than the pink comb and wattles, she has coloring of a BR pullet, from head to toe. Bad little critter, messing with my head like this.

10. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I vote roo with the wattle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by