1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hunter2015, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Hunter2015

Hunter2015 New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Georgia
    I am stumped on identifying some chicks. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a barred rock and a dominque as a chick? Everything that I have found shows them being identical as chicks. Thanks

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    wow as chicks I really don't know
    as adults the barred rock has a single comb while the Dominique has a rose comb. As chicks I have, coming in April Barred Rocks, silver Penciled Rock, and Golden Cuckoo Maran. wish me luck on telling who's who because as chicks the cuckoo maran, barred rock, and penciled rock look alike too! it's going to be difficult, if not impossible for me to know who's who. I completely feel for you if you have both barred rock and Dominique chicks! it's really going to take a trained eye to see the difference. maybe someone else knows?

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Rocks have single combs, Dominiques have rose combs. You will be able to tell the difference even as chicks by the comb. Both breeds have yellow legs.

Cuckoo Marans are another barred breed. They have single combs like Rocks, but they have white legs.

4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California

white legs? OK I will be looking for that. how about the penciled rock? by looking at the chicks they look pretty similar but maybe a hair lighter. is that how I tell the barred and penciled apart as chicks?

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Barred chicks are always black with a head spot. Penciled chicks are more striped/colorful depending on where they came from. And no head spot.

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    :) thank you. They are coming from Meyer in April

7. CaradineCousins

CaradineCousins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Birmingham Alabama
    I have 3 barred rock chicks a week old and they have a whiteish dot on their heads

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by