Barred Rock question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ronshoney, Jun 3, 2008.

1. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    I am supposed to have 10 black australorp pullets and 1 roo and 5 barred rock pullets but i don't know how to tell them all apart. When do barred rocks start looking like barred rocks? They were 4 weeks yesterday.

2. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

These just turned 6 weeks.
    [​IMG]

But they started showing the "barring" several weeks ago. I'd think you should see some by now.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They are old enough now that if they are barred rocks they wil have some white in the wing feathers.

Stretch a wing out and take a look.

4. ronshoney

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    I am going to try and find where my daughter left my camera and post some pics of them. A couple of them have a little white in the wings but none look like the ones above. Two are getting brown in the chest I assume they are the australorps. Well I go see if I can see my camera in the mess she calls her room. [​IMG]

5. ronshoney

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few of them not all of the pictures would load.

6. ronshoney

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    Here is one more I got to load
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help so far.

7. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    i had this same thing happen to me as a new chick owner. got 2 barred rocks and kept thinking, when will they get some barring? turns out they never did!! they are BA and look like your guys. i went and bought 2 more barred rocks (different place) and as soon as they started getting feathers they where barred. sorry if this same thing has happened to you!!

8. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    They look like my Australorps but mine don't have any brown on them. Looks like the one in the middle pictures has brown on the neck too. I didn't think Australorps had any brown on them.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I seem to remember something about several people getting Australorps who end up with a reddish tint. I think it is just a quality issue. I don't see any Barred Rocks in there. Sorry. Cute babies, though. [​IMG]

Edit to add my little roo...he was just TINY in this pic and you can already see very distinct barring.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am no authority but these are not barred rocks. Maybe a mix of something. Anyway I hope they are good egg producers anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by