Barred Rock / Rhode Island Red Cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JandS Flock, Oct 25, 2016.

1. JandS Flock

JandS Flock Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Ohio
    Hello All,

I am new to this site and very new to raising chickens. Started out as my wife's idea but I have slowly (to the point of building my first coop) come to the realization that we are going to have our own small flock. I have someone local that has some of these that should be ready to lay soon. I would like to get 4 of them to start out with. Can anyone tell me if these birds can handle cold weather? I live in the South West part of Ohio and I want to make sure they will be ok. Is there any certain type of feed that I should begin with? Apologize for all of the questions but want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks,

John

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Barred rocks are Cold Hardy but Rhode Island reds aren't so you might just have one in between.Get them some corn.It gives them some nice fat for the winter and also warms there body up

1 person likes this.
  3. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    I live in Northern Michigan. Have had Rhode Island Reds. They did fine in the winter. Just make sure they get plenty of feed and water. I always put plenty of straw or pine shavings on the floor of the coop.

4. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    My bad there actually really cold hardy i thought i saw some where that they weren't

5. JandS Flock

JandS Flock Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Ohio
    Thanks for all of the replies. Will make sure I have corn as well. Can anyone tell me about their behaviors? I have 2 Grandsons and want to make sure they are ok around them.

Thanks Again

6. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Barred rocks are pretty calm as for Rhode island reds some are mean.Hens wont hurt you or children if you guys let them know that your the boss

7. JandS Flock

JandS Flock Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Ohio
    Ok, very good. Thanks again for the information.

8. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    None of my reds were ever aggressive with my kids when they were little, including the roo. I did have a very aggressive Buff Orpington though. Any breed of rooster can be aggressive, just depends on the individual bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by