Barred rock, rhode island red or australorp rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by texas hiker, Feb 10, 2014.

1. texas hiker

texas hiker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    My wife has 11 Buffs on the way including one rooster. When we pick the buffs up from the feed store I am probably going to get another rooster and some more pullets, but not sure which kind of rooster to get. We will probably walk away with around 20 chicks that day.

The feed store that is getting the buffs in will also be getting barred rocks, rhode island reds and australorp.

We currently have 6 buffs and 6 australorps that are a week old.

On top of those we have 11 hens that will be 2 years old in March of this year (2014)

We are looking at around 4 dozen chickens by spring.

I would like to have 2 or 3 roosters. Then chickens right now free range, but my wife and I are going to be fencing in a 100 X 200 foot area to keep the chickens in.

I would like a rooster that is protective of the flock, but will not attack the grandkids. If my or my wife go to collect eggs, I do not want a rooster that will go after us.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. redchickenguy

redchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2013
    rhode island red. my 1st rooster was a RIR and he was the only nice rooster we have ever had. we don't have him any more because he died defending the flock. he was the first one to get eaten by that raccoon

3. McCoysOrps

McCoysOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    Mt Juliet TN
    Any rooster will be protective if he is raised with the girls! DO NOT touch him as a chick or even when he gets bigger! So he has a fear of you but be around him so he won't attack

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I have had multiple roosters over the years and I think the meanest I had was a Rhode Island Red who would stalk me and he did attack The meanest in general were Buffs. The best have been Barred Rocks and a Welsummer but I did not have him very long before he died defending his girls from a fox. I do not do anything special in how I raise them so this is pretty much based on the temperament of the breeds and perhaps the hatchery from which they came. I won't tolerate a roo that is mean to me, others or the hens. I have gotten a lot of chickens from TSC (Privett) and RK (Cackle) in my area. I originally wanted buffs but after 3 mean roos from RK I changed my mind. Some of my most favorite hens were Golden Comets from TSC; some of my least favorite hens were Golden Comets from RK. If you are buying at a similar store and are not wanting to raise a particular breed then I would recommend getting some extra roos and make your choice when they are older. Mean ones taste the best. If you have the opportunity you might buy your roo from an individual who knows the breed and the bird.

5. eggsellentfarms

eggsellentfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon
    A Rhode Island Red is the only rooster I've had that has been very aggressive towards people. He also tried to mate with the ducks.
    I had a barred rock rooster that had beautiful plumage and was nice around everyone. Right now I have a blue orpington and black australorp rooster who have not shown any aggression towards people, aren't too rough with the hens, and get along great together.

I think it's hard to know what they are going to be like until they are mature, so just try to avoid breeds that are know for usually being aggressive.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I had a RIR roo that would just as soon rip my finger off as look at me. He tid-bitted the girls, but was not a dancer, and was aggressive to them. He was the nastiest ***! Along with him, there were 2 BSL that had nice manners, and 3 Dominiques that went to the freezer before I had a chance to assess them with the hens. They were people friendly.

7. I have heard that RIR roosters are very aggressive! I also heard Barred Rock roosters can be somewhat aggressive. Australorps are usually pretty nice though.

8. texas hiker

texas hiker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to get an australorp rooster to go with my wifes buff rooster.

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I've learned over the years that when your young roo starts to show aggression if you'll kick the sh*t out of them every time they get near you then pick up a stick and go after them until they are sure you plan to kill them. They learn after a few encounters to stay away from you. What they are doing is trying to assert their dominance over you the same way they would another rooster. You just have to teach them that you are the top dog in the coop and they will respect you or they will die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by