1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock + Rhode Island Red = ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by azrc, May 10, 2009.

1. azrc

azrc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Phoenix
    Hi,

I have a barred rock hen and a rhode island red rooster. The hen has just started to sit on her eggs, so I'm just wondering if the offspring would be viable.

I'm going to stuff some of the eggs from other RIR chickens in her nest if she's still sitting by tomorrow morning.

Thanks for any information.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If it is a RIR male x Barred Rock female, then the offspring should look something like this when grown:
    [​IMG]

At birth, the males will have a white spot on their head while the females will have no spots. As they grow, the males will have barring whereas the female will not.

It is called a "Black Sex-Link" cross.

1 person likes this.
  3. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    True. But my BSL pullet is a deep red-brown with faint barring showing through... way prettier than I expected.

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    There are the odd all red black sexlinks, I had a couple pullets turn out that way, very pretty with those black markings on each feather(mine had a combo of black shafts with barring and lacing on red).

Anna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by