barred rock - rocky or rockete??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by opihiman911, Jun 1, 2008.

1. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    My last hatch I decided to test out sexing by tail feather when they hatch. If they had any tail feathers or a pointed protruding tail it was a hen. No tail is a roo. Well out of 10 that hatched I got 9 of them correct, 6 hens & 3 roos. The only one that has me wondering is a barred rock that had no tail so he was a roo we named rocky. I'm not sure I got him right.
    They are 4 months old now and the other roos are definately looking like roos with a bigger waddle and combs and tail feathers growing, but not rocky, he is looking more and more like a hen. The only thing that keeps me wondering is he has quite large spur bumps, bigger than any of the girls his same age, but not as big as his other sibling roos.
    Whats your opinion on Rocky? roo or hen?
    Also I threw in a pic of my older roo that I'm going to try and keep. Keoki is a black austrolorp just made a year old. He has been the calmest gentle roo I have ever had and is giving me hope he won't end up in the stew pot. He is so calm he lets my little 3 year old pick him up and carry him all over, never gives a care when we pick up his girls. He is still young and doesn't have raging hormones yet, just getting started being smooth with the girls, but I have high hope for him.

Aloha,
    Cory

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You've got a cockerel

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Looks like a Rocky not a Rockette

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    rocky deffinatley a roo

5. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, my six week old barred rock roos have combs and waddles that big. At four months old I would have thought yours would be bigger? Interesting.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Its a Rocky but that last pic is really dark,,,,is that because he is in the shade?

7. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    no the last pic is of my black austrolorp roo, Keoki. The top 2 pics are of Rocky. My other 3 roos from this hatch are no doubt roos, big comb and wattle and getting long tail feathers. I guess Rocky is just a little slow to hit puberty.

Cory

8. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    If experience is a good teacher: barred rocks are always roos!!
    I have 4 that are 12 wks old; all have much bigger and brighter red combs and wattles although 2 of them have smaller and lighter combs than my other 2.
    I thought sure yours was a hen when I saw the pic but I am brand new at this part

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by