Barred rock roo and a New Hampshire and red sex link or two

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hockeydad6791, Mar 5, 2014.

1. hockeydad6791

hockeydad6791 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Orma WV
    I have just set 16 eggs in my neighbors incubator from a barred rock roo 3 New Hampshire hens and 5 red sex link hens. My question is is that a good mix or why would I do that kind of thing? Just had the eggs readily available from my small flock looking to expand. Truth is I couldn't wait to incubait!! Lol

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My question is what do you want out of your chickens? That's going to determine if it is a good mix for you or not. It doesn't matter what I want out of chickens, it's what you want.

With that barred rock rooster, all the chicks from the New Hampshire hens will be colored and patterned after him. There may be some minor variations, but expect black and white barred.

The Red Sex Link hens are crosses so it's harder to be sure what you will get. If they have white tails I'd expect half the offspring to be white and half to be barred like their daddy. If their tails are black, then all should be black and white barred.

As far as size and egg laying, they will be like their parents, somewhere between what he barred rick daddy and their mommies are. Those are inherited traits so they'll get some from both parents.

If your goal is eggs, sounds real good to me. If you want meat, the New Hampshire cross should be excellent. The red sex links could have a lot of different genetics. There are lots of different ways to make red sex links. If the hens are kind of small the offspring will be too. If the hens are bigger the offspring will be bigger.

3. hockeydad6791

Mar 24, 2013
    Orma WV
    Cool!! Eggs and pets mostly. The New Hampshires I have are black tipped and a little bigger than the red sex links with white speckled necks and tipped feathers. The roo is medium sized and very nice black grey and white checkered with green to emerald tail feathers. Can't wait to see them new babies. If I get a decent hatch I'd like to add a few leghorns and americauanas or a few EEs

4. hockeydad6791

Mar 24, 2013
    Orma WV
    [​IMG]
    Rocky and one of his girls

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some of my favorite layers are from a barred rock rooster over an ee/leghorn hen. I get barring, some extra red color, puffy cheeks, and funky colored green eggs. They're my ideal bird!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hockeydad6791

Mar 24, 2013
    Orma WV
    So far 2 black and 2 yellow. A day early so 10 more to go

7. hockeydad6791

Mar 24, 2013
    Orma WV
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The black ones have black beaks and feet happy but not sure what They are as father and mothers don't have the black skin

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Sorry to break it to you, your Barred rock is not pure, or not the father of the Yellow chicks, Your cross is a Basic cross, should always produce ALL black chicks with yellow bellies/ but it seems that if the father of the yellow chicks is him, then he is not pure for the Extended black gene( responsible of producing black chick down even in the presence of wheaten )

9. hockeydad6791

Mar 24, 2013
    Orma WV
    Good info. I'll love them the same. Eggs is my goal and some meat (aka extra roos) but over all pets on this hill side

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by