1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock Roo? And Ameraucana What?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicksluvsticks, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Chicksluvsticks

Chicksluvsticks New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Beatrice or Buddy? 11-15 week old Barred Rock. So sweet but thinking she is a roo with those tail feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lady A. Ameraucana. 8 weeks and super sweet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    has been pretty pale... maybe just a bit of pink recently within the past few days.

Totally new to chickens. My first flock. This is fun but totally stressful when you don't want a ROO!

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Pretty sure your Barred Rock is male. The hens are darker than that (white on black instead of black on white), and the comb and wattles are pretty pronounced. For the Ameraucana, I can't see the comb that well, but if there are 3 rows of easily distinguishable bumps on the pea comb, it should be a male.

For a comparison of the Barred Rocks, here are a couple pics of mine at 4 weeks.

This is one of the guys.

[​IMG]

This is the lone girl.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Pretty sure your EE is a roo, The coloring with the brown splotches on wings and back is a male color not a female coloration.

Lanae

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    That is a gorgeous Barred Rock cockerel! [​IMG] Your Easter Egger cockerel is handsome as well. They're both male.

5. Chicksluvsticks

Chicksluvsticks New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Not an Ameraucana, eh? S/He has very slate legs and came from a breeder who swears she is true ameraucana (i know we have all heard that! ) With the pale comb at 8 weeks I was still hoping girl. Why you say boy except for the coloring... which I understand isn't always true! : )

6. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    BR definitely male. I have three female BR the same age. They are blacker, and have much smaller, pinker combs, and no wattles...

7. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Can't help with the other one, but I'm also agreeing your BR is a male [​IMG]

8. LittlenRedHen782

LittlenRedHen782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    South Jordan UT
    You have a beautiful Barred Rock Roo. [​IMG] I can't wait for mine to grow up.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

BR rooster (100% positive--you can tell at hatch most of the time, no need to wait that long)and pretty Easter Egger, a pullet, I think.

10. Chicksluvsticks

Chicksluvsticks New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    A few more pics of the Ameraucana.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by