Barred Rock Roo & Black Sex Link Hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by samantha88, Jan 22, 2015.

1. samantha88

samantha88 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    Hello!

I am really confused. What do you get when a Barred Rock Rooster mates with a Black Sex Link hen? I have only one rooster, a barred rock. I have both barred rock hens and black sex link hens. I have a successful hatch in the process right now. One looks like a barred rock (BR roo and a BR hen produces a BR offspring). The other two that just hatched have more yellow on their wings and chest. Would these be black sex link offspring from the BR roo and BSL hen?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have attempted to research this and look for pictures but have not been very successful.

Thanks!!
    Sam

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The first thing to establish clearly, I suppose, is do you really have a Barred Rock male. Since a the male of most Black Sex Links, to many folks, look similar to a Barred Rock, it is a common confusion.

A true Barred Rock males will have 2 barring genes and should be clean of red or gold leakage. The barring should be level and crisp and the white should be truly white. The BSL male looks similar, but often the barring is uneven, the white has gold leakage and the body proportions are not correct for a Plymouth Rock, since the BSL male is not a Plymouth Rock but an intentional cross/mix and only carries one barring gene.

It would be helpful to see a photo of your male. This might go a long way to explaining things.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If your rooster is pure bred, all the chicks should look pretty much the same, black with a white spot on the head. A pure male will pass one barring gene down to all his offspring, regardless of gender. If you're getting chicks with no white spot on the head, your rooster is not pure bred.
    Agree with Fred a pic of him would help.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on both of the above posters' replies.

5. samantha88

Jan 21, 2015
    I will take a picture of him in a few hours when I return home. Last night four more chicks hatched. All of which have the dot on the head.

A week prior to me collecting the eggs for the incubator we had a rooster pass away so there is a possibility some of these chicks could be his. Which didn't cross my mind until now. [​IMG]
    He was advertised as a BR but had gold on him. Was he actually a sex link?

So if I am understanding correctly, the spot on the head means it's a BR? I also thought sex link chicks also had a spot on their head.

This morning we had a chick hatch that was almost all gold. Now I'm completely lost! Thank you for your help! I find this so interesting!

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

He is not a purebred Barred Rock rooster. But, he also doesn't look like a BSL rooster either. *scratching head*

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yup, as suspected, he isn't a Barred Rock, he's a mixed/cross/mutt/wonderful, loving blend. [​IMG]

This explains why he can throw chicks of all sorts and kinds. Some goldish, some black with head spots, etc. Mixed to mixed makes lots of variety.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The pullets will probably lay lots of brown eggs.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I think he's a Black Sex Link rooster. I've seen a number of BSLs over the years that look just like that. As for the spots on top of the head, all Barred Rock chicks (both male and female) have the white spot on top of the head, but only the male BSL chicks have the white spot on top of the head. The presence of that spot is what distinguishes the male BSL chicks from the female BSL chicks.

10. samantha88

Jan 21, 2015
    The rooster in the previous post was the rooster that passed away. I collected eggs after getting a new rooster (a week later). But I am thinking many of these chicks are his babies! Kinda cool he got to repopulate before passing on!

[​IMG]
    This one (above) is his replacement. Does he look like a pure barred rock?

Here are my hens
    [​IMG]

So likely many of my chicks are considered mixed breed... Is that correct?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by