Barred Rock roo breeding ?'s

kaitlyn_rae2003

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Laconia NH
Hi there!
This is my first year trying to hatch out my own chicks, with an incubator. I have a barred rock rooster who is active with the hens. For hens I have 5 barred rocks, 1 buff orp, 1 jersey giant, 1 delaware, 1 plymouth white rock, 2 golden laced wyandottes, 4 NH reds, and a couple small mixed birds, one being a frizzle. What breeds could I expect from those mixes? Besides the full barred rocks i mean? would any of the crosses be a legit breed? or just barnyard mixes? Thank you so much for all your advice/answers.
smile.png

you have pure production barred rocks and you will hatch production barred rocks from a male and a pure female. The rest are barnyard muts. There is nothing pure when you cross one breed of production chickens with another just lots of mixed up colors. bob

You can not create a breed by crossing two different breeds. Your breeding will give you a lot of heavy layers. If you wanted to create a new breed it would take years of selective breeding and genetics study.

oh yes, i wasnt trying to create a new breed, just curious if any of those crosses is considered to be "anything" named already like im not totally sure what and ISA brown is...that type of situation. Thank you so much for your help!

Nope, making sex-links takes a barred hen and a non barred rooster. I'm thinking you're going to have a bunch of colorful layers, and some pretty barred rocks.

Back
Top Bottom