Barred Rock Roo crosses

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Kevan, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Kevan

Kevan New Egg

Jun 3, 2009
    Hi

I have read a lot of the info here and I'm sorry but I can't figure this out; please help?

If I have a Barred Rock Rooster, what if any sex-linking offspring can I expect with:

1) Rhode Island Red hens

2) Barred Rock hens

3) Golden sex link pullet.

From reading, i have a sinking feeling that my Barred Rock roo / RIR hen combo will produce only male offspring, is that right?

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

2. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    You will get both sex off spring, just not sexlinks. You can't get a sexlink chick with a BR roo. Sorry

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Sexlink just means color coded babies.

The color or breed of the parents has NO determination on the sex of the babies.
    You'll still get an average 50-50 ratio from any breeding combination [​IMG]

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    if your BR roo is a purebred, you can expect lighter roos and darker hens on the mating with BR hens....

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    With the BR roo to the RIR red hens, you could exect to get chicks ranging from dark Black barred to some that are kinda Red Barred with some black mixind in as well ( kinda like crele), but they will not be sexlinked. If your roo was the RIR and the hens were barred, then you would get sexlinks.

With a pure crossing of the BR roo to a BR hen, those chicks would be semi easy to sex but the problem would be that you couldn't tell them apart from the dark ( hetero) barred ones from the BR X RIR cross. But here are some pics of the differentces in my pure BR chicks, but this method is not always 100% accurate, and may take some eye training to get right.

dayold pullets
    [​IMG]

dayold roos
    [​IMG]

The BR X Gold Sexlink you should get a mixture of colors ranging from barred to white.

Do you have a pic of the roo you will be using, if he is from a Barred X RIR cross already, he would be able to produce both male and female offspring, but he would also be hetero barred and that would change things up a bit as that would make all of his male offsping barred and half of them females barred and the other half solid colored. Is yours a light barred or dark barred? A pic would really help to tell.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is a BR over Buff Orp rooster from my flock, owned by Cuban Longtails. BR x RIR could be similar:

[​IMG]

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    What a pretty rooster.... do you know what the hens look like?

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks so much Cynthia, I have been wanting to see pics from that cross, and Kevan, you could get similar looking birds in your F1 cross of the Barred X RIRs.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know she has pics of the hens here somewhere. Some were silvery looking with barring and others were gold-looking. It was unususal. I'll see if I can find them.

Ok, here is the silvery one and a gold one, same sire with buff Orp moms. Found an old thread of Tara's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  10. Kevan

Kevan New Egg

Jun 3, 2009
    Great info everyone. Very much appreciated. I'll get some pics so you can see what's going on. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by