Barred Rock Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MADchicken, Aug 2, 2010.

1. MADchicken

MADchicken New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    14 weeks old, just started crowing every morning... she's lovely so I'm hoping it's just a thing she's going thru...body looks like a hen, but she's been crowing for a week. We have no other roosters, just 2 smaller mutts, and a bossy dominant one-year old hen. I'm in the Toronto if indeed it is a roo, and someone would like to give it a good home.
    I hope I've done this right, this is my first post ever!

The big butt in one of the foreground pics is a year old hen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi and WELCOME TO BYC! If its crowing....its probably a roo, it does look like a roo. Does this bird have a single comb or a pea or rose comb?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. MADchicken

MADchicken New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    It's a single comb, and just growing in. I've read in the forums that on occasion, some hens will crow... so I was just hoping....

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I think that's a roo... I like the "shhh quiet" sign - is that the entrance to their coop? [​IMG]

5. rdport

rdport Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    Sorry, but it looks like a rooster..the long feathers at the back
    Hope I am wrong.

6. MADchicken

MADchicken New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    It's the nesting box, I stapled my daughter's princess skirt for a privacy curtain. This is their temporary run until we get a real coop built.

7. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Looks like a roo.[​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's a roo.
    Tailfeathers give it away.

What I've read about is when a roos leaves or is killed, and an older hen takes command and takes up crowing as well. I've not heard of a young pullet taking up crowing before they even start laying.

9. MADchicken

MADchicken New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    Thank you all for responding unanimously that it's a roo. I hope to find a good home for him.
    This is a GREAT forum.

10. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Our barred rock "hen" started crowing this week. Had much bigger comb and waddles, but we live in town and had to give him away. Very sad....but what a beautiful rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by