Barred Rock. Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SallieGee, Oct 11, 2011.

1. SallieGee

SallieGee New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Can someone help me decide if Margaret is a hen or roo?
    She is slow to get tail feathers but has blackish feet and legs and black on beak. She is kinda bossy and a little lighter in color than her twin. Hope someone can help. She is 5 weeks old in the picture.
    Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

2. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    If she is a Pure Barred Plymouth Rock she should have yellow legs and feet, with a little grey colouring to the front on some females IMO.... Might she be a cross breed? That could change to colour and pattern of her barring and make determining sex based upon colour a little more difficult.

She has an pretty large comb for 5 weeks, so I would tend to say Roo .....sorry! [​IMG] (Not that I am anything even approaching an expert [​IMG] )

3. SallieGee

SallieGee New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Oh no. I got her from a hatchery and her sister also has the blackish feet. She also has a pretty big cone. I was thinking I read somewhere on here that the roo would have yellow legs and hens black. Hmmmm. Guess I will have to wait it out but she should be purebred.
    Thanks for the opinion.

4. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    If you could give us a picture more of her it would help. I know they don't like to hold still, but your hand is covering most of her. [​IMG]

5. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    looks just mine that i bought sexed from cackle. how founrd that some mature quicker than others in same batch. all have had huge combs since a week of age. all girls so far, and they just turned seven weeks old. my geuss is pullet. i have ten of barred rocks. she will catch up. roos are more white on black with yellowish legs.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    Quote:yes barred rock hens would have black running down their legs, rooster would have yellow legs

7. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    I would say that's a rooster....his feet will probably turn yellow as he gets older [​IMG]

8. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    the feathers are pretty dark to be a roo, but the comb is kinda big to be a hen. keep posting pics as it gets older, also post a standing pic so we can see her/his legs

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd like to see the legs also, but I'm guessing pullet.

10. SallieGee

SallieGee New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks guys. I will post more as soon as I can. I have to get more pics. She does have yellow legs with black running down them just like the twin. I was worried because the tail feathers just have started to come out. The other one had bigger tail. Will post more of all of them soon.
    Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by