Barred Rock. Roo or Hen?

SallieGee

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
Can someone help me decide if Margaret is a hen or roo?
She is slow to get tail feathers but has blackish feet and legs and black on beak. She is kinda bossy and a little lighter in color than her twin. Hope someone can help. She is 5 weeks old in the picture.
Thanks for the help.

108846_margaret_5_wks.jpg

If she is a Pure Barred Plymouth Rock she should have yellow legs and feet, with a little grey colouring to the front on some females IMO.... Might she be a cross breed? That could change to colour and pattern of her barring and make determining sex based upon colour a little more difficult.

She has an pretty large comb for 5 weeks, so I would tend to say Roo .....sorry!
hide.gif
(Not that I am anything even approaching an expert
smile.png
)

Oh no. I got her from a hatchery and her sister also has the blackish feet. She also has a pretty big cone. I was thinking I read somewhere on here that the roo would have yellow legs and hens black. Hmmmm. Guess I will have to wait it out but she should be purebred.
Thanks for the opinion.

If you could give us a picture more of her it would help. I know they don't like to hold still, but your hand is covering most of her.
big_smile.png

looks just mine that i bought sexed from cackle. how founrd that some mature quicker than others in same batch. all have had huge combs since a week of age. all girls so far, and they just turned seven weeks old. my geuss is pullet. i have ten of barred rocks. she will catch up. roos are more white on black with yellowish legs.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I will post more as soon as I can. I have to get more pics. She does have yellow legs with black running down them just like the twin. I was worried because the tail feathers just have started to come out. The other one had bigger tail. Will post more of all of them soon.
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom