Barred Rock - Roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smk2010, Jan 25, 2010.

1. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    Is there any way to tell if my 3 Barred Rock chicks are male or female? They are approximately 3 months old.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Most of the time the combs of the roo are bigger then hens. The roo is lighter colred feathered then the hens.
    Do you have a picture. maybe we can help you out.
    google feathersite. He has great pictures of birds and you can see how they look like.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The best thing to do would be to post a pic! As a general rule though, the comb will develop faster, bigger and redder on a cockerel than a pullet. Also, he will develop wattles sooner. By three months you should be able to see a noticeable difference in comb/wattle size.

Other indications are saddle/hackle feathers which will be more pointy on a boy. The tail feathers on a boy will grow longer and start to curve a little towards the back. Most particularly on a Barred Rock though, is the patterning of their bars. A boy will be more white with black bars, while a female will be more black with white bars.

4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Post a PIC!

5. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    I will see about getting pictures of them to post in the next day or two. One I'm fairly certain is a roo (long tail feathers) but the other two I'm not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by