Barred Rock Roo or young lady

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenLovers1, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ChickenLovers1

ChickenLovers1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    North Central Ma.
    Is there a way to tell if your Barred Rock is a lady or a roo at 5 weeks old? The reason I ask is we have 3 Barred Rocks and all look the same except for one that has a really dark beak and feathers around neck that are longer then the other chicks. Also It is my daughters favorite chick and we cant have roosters. Let me know your opinion
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Depending on their genetics the males have a double barring gene which will make them look lighter than the females. Posting photos of your chicks may help

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

4. ChickenLovers1

Mar 18, 2016
    North Central Ma.
    [​IMG]

here is a picture of the chick in question standing on feeder it was suppose to be a barred rock. The other 2 barred rocks are on the right in the photo. Totally different color. I was maybe thing not a roo but a different breed looking more like a Welsummer it is a lot smaller then the others as well.
    Any thoughts??
    Mike

5. Firekin1

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    No, thats not a barred rock, it could be a welsummer...do younknow whay other birds were with the barred rocks?

6. ChickenLovers1

Mar 18, 2016
    North Central Ma.
    the only other chicks were Black Speckled Sussex i got 3 each the reason I thought Welsummer was I came across pics of 1 day old Wels chicks and they look like Barred rock chicks. The farm store where I bought them buys chicks from hatchery that sells Welsummers I will post more pics when he/she is older also it very much smaller then all other chicks almost bantam size from the research I have looked at. this is my first year with chickens so just speculating as what it could be hope it turns out to be a pleasant surprise.
    Mike

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    It could be a Brown Leghorn or a Welsummer.

8. ChickenLovers1

Mar 18, 2016
    North Central Ma.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Well here I am at 10 wks old. Still not sure what kind of chicken I am. I know I am not a Barred Rock or Speckled Sussex which is what I was suppose to be. I do know that I am very pretty any ideas as to what kind of breed I am??

9. Firekin1

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    The pic is small on my phone and I'm having trouble enlarging it but that is looking a lot like a brown leghorn. ..lol

10. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Can't help with the breed, but it is a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by