Barred Rock-roo,pullet or turkey?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pastrymama, May 11, 2010.

1. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    My daughter's BR (Cruella Deville) is 5 weeks old and I am fairly certain it's not going to lay any eggs. I am brand new to chickens but this one has a comb that is already turning red and waddles that are too. This bird is huge, or at least I think it is, and runs away when it sees me coming. It can't fly, won't roost and doesn't dig holes like the other chicks. Granted this is our only BR so maybe that's just how they are, I have no clue. My vote is it's a turkey. When I got it at the feed store it was in with a bunch of turkey chicks that looked just like BR chicks, but the guy swore it was a BR. What do you think?
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Looks like a BR to me and I would vote Roo since it looks like all mine. They become beautiful roosters though.

[​IMG]

He looks to be the same size mine are now and they look exactly the same. My BR roos last year looked like that too.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, it's a cockerel, but not a pure BR. It has white legs so maybe not a Rock at all. Could be a Marans or Marans cross of some sort. Could be a black sexlink using a Cuckoo Marans hen and a RIR or other red rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by