Barred Rock Roo/RIR mix

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
Does anybody have any pics of offspring where the rooster was a barred rock and the hens are RIR or sex links? I've been hatching these chicks and while most of them favor the barred rock coloring (as babies; haven't kept any past two weeks) there are some that are fluffy yellow with a couple black spots. I'm thinking the yellow ones could be the RIR's? Just curious what they will look like grown up.

A sexlink with the RIR rooster and Barr rock hens will produce I think a white/yellow boy and colored girls."Black Sex Links are a breed cross using Rhode Island Red males and Barred Plymouth Rock females. The male chicks have a white spot on the top of their heads and can be separated from the solid black female chicks when they hatch" Not sure if it works the same way using a Barr Rock Rooster and RIR hens.

As the above post said, with RIR as Rooster and barred rock or delaware in my case as hen-this is what you get from what I understand....I've been told my birds are Red Stars and Black stars with are also red and black sex links...

chickensaug1208010.jpg

Yes, the BR is the roo and I am wondering if the yellow chicks with the black spots are from the RIR hen or possibly the red sex-link? The others that I have are black with white on their heads, or gray with yellow. I am assuming that the blacks with white on their heads are full BR but I'm not sure about the others.

I would guess it could be either one, the RIR or the red sexlink. Someone with more genetics savvy would have to comment on that. The black ones may or may not be pure BR. My BR over Blue Ameraucana has ghosty barring and she looked pretty much like a pure BR chick at hatch, except for the pea comb.

Last edited:
I have a RIR/BR cross hen. Not sure if the dad was the BR or RIR, etc., but I do know that is the cross because that is all this guy had when I bought the chicks. My son picked her out because she was different from all the BR babies. She is my favorite hen.

If I understand this correctly you may have crossed a male barred rock with a red sex linked female. If this is correct, the chicks that are white with black spots are the offspring of the red sex linked hen.

Commercial red sex linked birds contain dominant white. The chicks inherited the dominant white from the hen. If the birds are females they will be white with some black spots, peppering or whole feathers or parts of feathers that are black in the wings and tail. I have found that the birds that show black spots on white down are more often female than male. Solid white birds were more often males. I need to hatch large numbers to see if my hypothesis is correct. I was going to do a study on the subject but I do not have the room. Some day I will have better facilities.

Tim

Last edited:
That's great info Tim - thank you! Yes, you understood correctly - we only have one rooster and he's a barred rock. I hatched eggs from our hens, which are all pure. Some are barred rocks, RIR's, and red and black sex links, but when the eggs hatched, I didn't know what was what. Well, except for the pure BR's - those are fairly obvious. I did have 3 eggs hatch from the araucana hen but those I could tell (marked the eggs) and they are already sold/gone. It's the yellow ones that are throwing me off. Good to know they may be females. Might have to keep those for myself!!

If anyone has pics to share of chicks from a BR roo, I would love to see them!

Not one of your hen breeds, obviously, but here is Panda, the daughter of my BR cockerel Zane with my Blue Ameraucana, Charlotte. She didn't get a beard, but she does have a pea type comb and odd colored legs.
DCP_0939.jpg

Chickngurl has some from my own flock-my late rooster, Hawkeye, with my Buff Orpington girls. They turned out really pretty. You'd have to do a search for it. I'll see if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom