Barred Rock Roo with gold - What are the genetic possibilities?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by VillageChicken, Jul 1, 2010.

1. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

New to this forum and to chickens in general. Here is a picture of my barred roo about 4 months old.
    [​IMG]
    He was sold to me as a 3 week old Plymouth Rock "hen" at a large open air market here in Hungary where I work. I bought him with two other chicks that did turn out to be hens. I believe they were clutchmates, but nothing is for certain, I didn't watch the eggs get laid.

My question is about his genetics and parents. I have read about gold "leakage" in BR's that are Ss+ or s+s+. He appears to be Bb as he does not have the light narrow barring of a BB.
    If his two siblings are also barred, then I can assume his father was barred. One of the hens shows some gold in her hackles, the other not a trace. So I might assume one is S and the other s+. So does that mean that dad was likely Ss+?

I am also trying to figure out his E allele as he has no gold in his wing triangle. Would an EE Ss+ show this much gold, or can I assume that he carries ER/e+ birchen because he shows no gold on the wing triangle?

I know real world chicken color genetics aren't as clean as the theory, but if anyone has any experience with barred cross roos, I'd really appreciate it.
    Any clue what breed the mom, might have been? It's possible both were barred rocks carrying gold and birchen, but that seems a little unlikely. Seems more like a cross.
    Any suggestions would be great.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would say that he is not a true Barred Plymouth Rock.
    He looks like he could be out of a Partridge Rock/ Barred Rock that cross would give you cockerels that look a lot like yours.
    The pattern is "almost" a Crele pattern..

Now a Partridge Rock rooster over a Barred Rock hen would give you cockerels and Black pullets..

Chris

3. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I acknowledge in the post that he is probably a cross. The question is a cross with what, and what are the resulting genetic results.

4. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    I know nothing of chicken breeding/genetics. But, I do know that he is so beautiful! REALLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:From my above post.
    He looks like he could be out of a Partridge Rock/ Barred Rock that cross would give you cockerels that look a lot like yours.

Chris

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree, he is a cross, not a pure BR for sure. Handsome boy, though. I have seen one come out of my own flock, BR rooster over Buff Orpington hen, with that same coloring (or very similar).

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    He is, as Chris said, crele-like. Without the wing triangle, I would guess his E-allele to be E^R.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Quote:I agree with this. My roo that was Dominique (hen)/Buff Orpington (roo) crossed looked very similar in feathering. Mine just inherited the rose comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by