Barred rock Roo "x" light sussex & RIR hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by frankieboy6, Jun 27, 2016.

1. frankieboy6

frankieboy6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2016
    Fareham, England
    Hi

I have a barred rock roo and wonder what chicks will come from my hens I have light sussex and RIR hens

Thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In both cases the chicks will be black barred, much like the rooster. The ones from the RIR hens will possibly/probably have some red leakage when they feather out. That’s where a few stray random red feathers show up. Those could be about anywhere.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    x2
    This is, of course, assuming that he is pure Barred Rock, and not a Black sexlink male.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

5. frankieboy6

frankieboy6 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2016
    Fareham, England
    So Long story short got some random eggs from ebay saying "mixed fertile eggs" put a pic up and one said barred rock other said mixed breed.

3x eggs hatched two are black (im pretty sure female) 9 weeks old the other looks like barred rock.

So im thinking maybe now black sex-link however the eggs before hatch were one blue (the one looking like barred rock came from) one green and a light brown?

now even more confused!![​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It sure sounds like you may not have a pure barred rock rooster but more likely a cross, especially since he hatched form a blue egg. A cross of what I don’t know. When you breed crosses you can get a lot of surprises. You might have a fun hatch, no telling what you might get. It’s likely half or more will be black and half or more will be barred, but not necessarily the same half. I like mixed hatches like that, I think it’s boring when all the chicks look the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by