Barred Rock Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sbs, Apr 13, 2009.

1. sbs

sbs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Pasadena,Ca.
    [​IMG]

Here are my 3 girls as of today. still wondering if the Barred Rock is a Roo?

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    They sure are pretty! They all look like pullets to me![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is that the same BR you sent me a pic of? This one looks like a pullet, but the one you sent me very definitely looks boyish. Could be the flash on your camera making it look lighter. Really,when sexing BRs, natural light is best.

4. sbs

sbs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Pasadena,Ca.
    Yes this is the same one I sent you a picture of before. Both pictures were taken with a flash. Do you think its accurate enough to tell?

5. speckledhen

You may have one of those in-betweeners, but the pic in this thread looks like a pullet. The one you PMd me looks much lighter colored, probably due to the flash. I think you may have to wait a week or so, till more wing feathers come in.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I think the BR looks like a pullet, due to its dark down and the black wash down the front of its legs. Good luck!

7. speckledhen

Truth be told, leg color is the least reliable in sexing BRs. You simply must take all three traits, headspot, down color and leg color together to make your educated guess. Even then, some do not read the rule book.

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I would say you got all pullets

9. Lmarie

Lmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Way Over Yonder, GA
    How did you get them to pose so well for the picture???

10. sbs

sbs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Pasadena,Ca.
    Well I guess I will take more photos in a week and see if we can tell any better.
    My DH is a photographer , so we set the chicks up on a white back round separately then he put them all together in photoshop. The coloring in this photo of the BR is more true to life than the pictures I sent you Speckledhen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by