Barred Rock, Roo??

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I have 3 of Barred Rock "pullets" & this ones comb is noticably bigger & it is much more outgoing... loves to peck my fingers when I am messing with them. I cannot remember their age, sorry.

Is it a Roo?
110_0206.JPG

110_0204.JPG

110_0202.JPG

110_0200.JPG

Looks very rooish to me. Just like my BR that turned out to be a roo. His comb came in like that at just a few weeks, and he was darker like that as well. I did find a wonderful home for him, and it was sad because he was the SWEETEST of the bunch!

Looks like a hen to me still, the comb isn't red, or at least that isn't what is shown in the picture. BRs have a fairly large comb from birth. Another way people determine the sex is by comparison with other ones, roos supposedly have thicker bars of white in their feathers, while the hens have more black.

My barred Rock hens look just like yours. My Barred Rock Rooster is a really light grey and developed a red comb when he was about 3 weeks old. All of BR hens have a yellow comb that developed faster than my other breeds.

Here's a question for you - How big was the white spot on its head when it was still a downy chick? Barred birds can be sexed as chicks by the size and messiness of their white dot.
wink.png

Otherwise, barred birds also have too much light pigment around the face for this one to be judged by the comb so young. . . . Otherwise, such dark color does say it's a girl, but we can't be for sure.

I vote girl based on the color as well.
Mine scared me a bit as a chick, because their comb does come in pretty quick, but it's not as big or as red as the boys get. BUT she stayed a she! I have one of her babies just hatched out tonight, she's definitely an egg-layer
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom