Barred Rock, Roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bleenie, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have 3 of Barred Rock "pullets" & this ones comb is noticably bigger & it is much more outgoing... loves to peck my fingers when I am messing with them. I cannot remember their age, sorry.

Is it a Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Looks very rooish to me. Just like my BR that turned out to be a roo. His comb came in like that at just a few weeks, and he was darker like that as well. I did find a wonderful home for him, and it was sad because he was the SWEETEST of the bunch!

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    Looks like a hen to me still, the comb isn't red, or at least that isn't what is shown in the picture. BRs have a fairly large comb from birth. Another way people determine the sex is by comparison with other ones, roos supposedly have thicker bars of white in their feathers, while the hens have more black.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

"he" is dark, like a pullet. but larger in size & comb. the comb is still pink though, the other 2 have very tiny combs still.

5. bigshoes213

bigshoes213 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Sardis, Ms
    My barred Rock hens look just like yours. My Barred Rock Rooster is a really light grey and developed a red comb when he was about 3 weeks old. All of BR hens have a yellow comb that developed faster than my other breeds.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

good to know! It's been quite a while since I have had "layer chicks" and especially BR's. Hopefully it's just gonna be a big hen [​IMG]

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Here's a question for you - How big was the white spot on its head when it was still a downy chick? Barred birds can be sexed as chicks by the size and messiness of their white dot. [​IMG]

Otherwise, barred birds also have too much light pigment around the face for this one to be judged by the comb so young. . . . Otherwise, such dark color does say it's a girl, but we can't be for sure.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I vote pullet based on the color.

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I vote girl based on the color as well.
    Mine scared me a bit as a chick, because their comb does come in pretty quick, but it's not as big or as red as the boys get. BUT she stayed a she! I have one of her babies just hatched out tonight, she's definitely an egg-layer [​IMG]

10. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by