Barred Rock Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrahmaBrock, Jul 7, 2011.

1. BrahmaBrock

BrahmaBrock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I'm pretty sure I have a barred rock roo, just want to know what some others here think. I ordered "him" a couple months back and one more looks the same, but the others are darker and don't have the same size cone. I think it's starting to show signs of saddle feathers as well.

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    How old is he?

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Pullets are darker than the roos. So if this one is 8 wks old then yeah I'd say it's a roo.

4. BrahmaBrock

BrahmaBrock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Around 14 weeks old.

5. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Rooster. [​IMG]

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

My newest pullet...

[​IMG]

My old roo...

I say yours is a pullet...based on these shots of mine...

7. jhook1997

jhook1997 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    This looks like my BR girls. The Roos turned out much whiter on their chest and had bigger combs. Not that I'm an expert....just opinion based on my own that are 13 weeks old.

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It looks like a barred rock pullet at laying age to me. I see the bright red comb but my laying rock pullets had that. 14 weeks old eh? Huh, it sure looks like a girl. Has it crowed yet? Thinking if it's a cockerel you'd hear it by now. My little man started trying, sounded like a broken bicycle horn, at 9 weeks.

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    [​IMG]

For comparison. My BR roo at about three months last year. Am thinking pullet on yours also. You can already see his rooster feathers above his tail and tail feathers starting to stand up. Look for the skinny feathers in front of the tail feathers. Roos have them and hens don't.

Although now looking at your pic compared to mine I am thinking I just might see the skinny feathers in front of the tail on yours....and the color is not quite as dark as my hens were.

Am about to cast my vote for roo instead. Go back and get a couple more shots of yours and look for the skinny feathers in front of the tail.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a rooster, I can see the saddle feathers coming in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by