Barred Rock Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickengoober, Aug 26, 2011.

1. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    So we're not sure about this guy/girl [​IMG]. S/he is suposed to be a pullet...but we're not completely sure. Mrs. Roo (the first unisex name we could think of) is about 11 weeks old. Is thhis Mrs or Mr Roo?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would have to say roo. [​IMG] Thick legs, and roo looking tail feathers. Not much comb though...

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Mr. Pullet! Congratulations, it's a boy!

4. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Its a SHEmale [​IMG] But probably roo

5. DuaneC

DuaneC Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2011
    I bought 4 BR pullets and one turned out to be a roo. We call him "HENry". We noticed early on that his contrasting colors were brighter and he developed a comb earlier and it was redder. About the time his wattles really started coming in, he started having "roo" feathers develop along his tail and saddle. You may be in for the same treat as me, but at 11 weeks mine had a more prominent red comb.

Do you have siblings to compare to? That was our advantage, but I've found that most chickens develop in their own way and their own pace. It looks like he's developing roo feathers along his saddle and tail, but the comb/wattle seem underdeveloped for a roo at that age.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's a male--no pullet has those skinny, shiny saddle feathers, but the comb is odd. Where did you get this bird? Is that a single comb or a rose comb? The angle makes it hard to see the comb. The body type seems very lean for a BR to me, so I'd say male and not pure BR, or maybe not BR at all, really, just going on that one picture. Could you get a body shot of the bird standing, then a comb shot?

7. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    X2
    Quote:

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]
    I ended up with ALL roosters last year...these guys are about the same age as yours...
    **even the australorps are roos....

I say you have a roo as well.

9. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i think it is a hen [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

here is a shot of a BR pullet...darker in coloring...

Yours has saddle feathers already...rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by