Barred Rock - Roos or Pullets

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ruby2, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Ruby2

Ruby2 New Egg

Oct 5, 2014
    Hey guys, I bought these Barred Rock chicks six weeks ago, they were both supposed to be girls, but I've read so much on Barred Rocks I am now confused. Going my what I have read, the girls will be darker than the boys. Ok, my problem is my Martha is quite dark, but her comb and waddles went red really early at around two weeks, maybe three. Lucy seems to be the colouring of a boy, but her comb is just starting to show a pale pink now, so am thinking she is a pullet and Martha may be an Arthur. First two photos are off Lucy, next two are Matha, then there is one with them together. Would love to know what you guys think as it's driving me crazy, lol.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In Australia, there are two kinds of Barred Rocks. Light and Dark. This is going to throw a monkey wrench into things for North Americans reading your post and seeing your photos.

Thus, so much of what you read on here is from North America where there is only one kind of Barred Plymouth Rocks.

Nonetheless, some indicators are still there. At 7 or 8 weeks, a red comb and red wattles are secondary sex characteristics of the male. I can easily see that the second bird you posted is displaying those male attributes.

While the first bird you posted isn't displaying yet, I do see rather thick legs and thick legs is also an early sign of being a male. Wait another week or two on the first one. The second bird posted is surely a male, regardless of whether it is "light" or "dark".

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Based on comb development, Martha is almost certainly a cockerel. I'm leaning towards Lucy being a cockerel, too.

4. ladykat138

ladykat138 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    I am wanting to buy 2 Barred Rock pullets in early spring but don't know where would be the best place to get them from. We live in S.W. Oklahoma. How much do they general cost for pullets? We have a feed store that sales chicks in the Spring but don't think that they sale what I want. I am also wanting to know if I got some Rhode Island Red pullets would they get along with each other?

5. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Costs change greatly depending on the quality of the bird, I am assuming you want hatchery quality? I have no idea what the price range is for show quality barred rocks, except that it's pricey.

Meyer Hatchery is selling Barred Rock pullets for about $10.00 each and female Barred Rock chicks for about $3.00 each, not including shipping. Pretty much any breed of chicken gets along with any other, if the sizes are compatible, so you should be fine mixing Rhode Island Reds with Barred Rocks.

You can read reviews of the various hatcheries to determine where to get you pullets from, I don't feel comfortable advising because I have only ever purchased one batch of chicks and I don't have anything to compare that experience with.

6. Xiao Casa

Xiao Casa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    South Texas
    Oh, and welcome to BYC!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Same.

They are very beautiful!!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on that. Sorry. :eek:(

10. Ruby2

Ruby2 New Egg

Oct 5, 2014
    Ok, thank you guys, though I did have a cry when you told me they were both roosters, lol. Only because I'm not allowed to keep roosters in the town I'm in and I love these babies. They are both little characters. I'm going to take the chance and keep them anyway. Does anyone know if those rooster collars work? My friend told me that if I keep both they will end up fighting, but I've also read that if they have grown up together they shouldn't really fight too much, is that so? They have both grown up with a pair of baby ducklings I bought at the same time so they are all great mates and I don't want to separate them or have them end up on someone's dinner plate. They were bought to have as pets and potter around my garden, the eggs were just going to be a bonus, lol. Take care, Ruby xxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by