Barred rock rooster a little aggressive.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bestchickens, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Bestchickens

Bestchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    I have a 7 month old barred rock rooster and he has been getting a little aggressive towards me. Today he actually tried to spur me. I don't want to get rid of him because he is a beautiful bird. I hav heard that barred rock roosters cam b aggresive. Any tips or tricks to tame him down would be great.

2. You'll have to decide ultimately.

A feisty rooster is actually a good thing when it comes to protecting "HIS" flock. However I have never liked a roo coming at me either. I'd rather not have that in my backyard flock. If you free range your birds the aggressive roosters seem to be more useful though. My best roos feed out of my hand and are never allowed to be aggressive too long. Otherwise it's time for chicken stew.

Some roosters get aggressive over things like "boots" or "buckets" or just weird things.

3. farmer9989

farmer9989 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    alba texas
    Don't let him get a bluff on you he will always think he can and eventually hurt you.
    catch him and ruff him up basically whoop him , drag him side to side and rub his head on the ground
    lay him on his back and shake him back and forth then let go of him slowly he should stay there for a time thinking you still have hold of him
    not any way hard enough to hurt him but let him know who's boss.
    if that don't do it get ruff er with him

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    he won't seem so beautiful once he really does hurt you, or worse scratches up a child. If he won't stop being aggressive then it's really just best for all for him to be culled. Get another roo- there are always lots of friendly roosters who need new homes... even less reason to keep an aggressive roo.

There are a million sworn to work opinions on how to react to an attacking rooster.. the thing is to surprise him any way you can. You can get 'ruff' with him like above says, or swoop him up and shut him in a dark box, trash can or ?? or swoop him up and carry him upside down or anything that will "really surprise him". You have to do this IMMEDIATELY- not a few minutes after he attacks. If you wait, he will not understand why you are doing strange things to him.. he will only understand "attack= something really unpleasant happens to me" if you do it while he is attacking. Not a minute later.

but the bottom line, despite what many think, aggression has a genetic basis. He may be genetically inclined to be aggressive no matter what you do with him- I have found if a rooster continues to attack after three 'treatments', he will continue to attack for many years after that to varying degrees.... some will try again and again or do something like stop attacking YOU but continue to attack OTHERS. Some get 'humiliated' and not attack for a while- could be weeks or months but eventually they try again. A few get aggressive during the spring and more/less mellow out in the summer- winter but act up again when spring comes around.

As for me... chickens are a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be relaxing or fun. An aggressive roo is no fun.. so they get axed the first time they attack. I have enough roos to replace him and with it being possibly genetic I don't want to risk producing possible aggro sons....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Bestchickens

Bestchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    I don't really wan to get ride of him though. He was one of my first hatches out of my first homemade incubator. he's kinda special to me but I don't want him hurtin anyone so I'll do what I have to do even if that does mean chicken stew.

6. You stated that the BR roo was "a little aggressive" towards you. Heritage breed chickens have a "little aggressiveness" in them. That's how they survive in many cases. Try a treatment of showing him who's boss and DON'T BE AFRAID OF A CHICKEN. That may be easier said than done but don't let him scare ya.

farmer9989 gave you a tip to try before you have a chicken dinner. Let us know what happened. It's good education and good entertainment sometimes also. If all else fails, you get a dinner out of the deal. 7 months old is edible.

7. May I suggest NOT eating him and trying to hand feed him yummy food and be extra nice o his hens. That could work!

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Totally understand that. I'll admit at first my attitude was not wanting to kill or 'hurt' anything. I was so upset and moped for a couple days after culling the first few birds.... But then as the years and birds went by, it's like I learned to change my attitude a little bit and the hobby just became much more pleasurable despite having to do the occasional unpleasntiness like culling mean roos. It was always a big relief once those were *gone*....

Treating the roos with treats or even more nice than they already were NEVER worked. They'd take the treats then spur you as you walked off. Or they'd spur you then take the treats.

Walking on eggshells around a ROO? oh please, that's the hobby becoming unpleasant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by