Barred rock rooster and RIR hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TAWAKONI, Jul 28, 2014.

1. TAWAKONI

TAWAKONI In the Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Our chicks hatched today which were all a cross between a barred rock rooster and RIR hens. They have been in a chicken tractor for many months so no possibility of other breeds in the mix. I'm curios as what to expect, some are black which I'm sure will be barred but does anyone know what the white one will look like? Has anyone hatched this combination before? if so what did they look like when they matured?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The light colored chicks will likely be reddish with a very light barring pattern. It's too bad the cross was not the other way; a RIR rooster X BR hen. The chicks would have been Black Sex Links. The male chicks would have been black with a white spot on top of their heads and the females would have been solid black. They should still be good hardy layers.

3. TAWAKONI

TAWAKONI In the Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    I'm familiar with the sex linking, I have those in another pen, these were wrong sex leftovers I could use for sex link and I needed to separate them but I decided to hatch and see what I ended up with. Have you hatched this combination before? Of all the various hatches I have done, I've never has a white chick turn red, all the red hens I have hatched had a noticeable orange tint. I can see the white ones developing a light barring later.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I haven't personally done the BR roo X RIR hen, but I've seen some of the pale reddish offspring with the pale barring from BR roo X RIR hen, so I'm assuming that's how the light ones will turn out (it will be interesting to see if that's the case). I have done it the other way and produced the Black Sex Links from RIR roo X BR hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: