Barred rock rooster is really sweet

ralleia

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Omaha, NE
We have a barred rock roo that I spared from butchering day last fall because he exhibited exemplary chicken courage and intelligence (another story).

He's always been protective of the hens and non-aggressive to the humans. Now that spring is here, I've find yummy treats in my garden--a grasshopper, beetle, or grub.

I've never tried to handle him or tame him, but when he sees me walking up he comes running. He takes the insect out of my hand and then holds it in his beak while he calls for the hens to come get it. They go to him and take it from his beak.

Ain't that sweet? I just can't get over it.

He definitely sounds like a keeper!

thumbsup.gif

I had a barred rock roo that was very agressive. I am getting one again this year, hoping he turns out like yours. I have a buff orp. roo that is exactly like your barred rock. He is with the mixed flock. I do adore him. He will not take things from my hand, which is fine, But that is ok. But he comes running and gives all the goodies to the girls. He also lets them pick the feathers around his face. very weird. He is bald around his waddles, I thought he had something wrong, then I noticed that the hens pick his feathers out from there.

Quote:
Rooster temperament seems to vary widely even within a breed. Our first roo was a buff orphington that was very aggressive. We ended up stewing him after he spurred me in the leg while I had the baby in a carrier on my back. If anyone ever cracks the code on rooster temperament I hope they let the rest of us know!

Our barred rock is from McMurray, and we've been really happy with all the Plymouth Rocks that we got from there. We have several white rock hens, too, and they're the most inquisitive and entertaining of our hens. Though I wish I could keep them from from throwing all the mulch around in my flower gardens!

He was also reared by a hen (adoptive mom); either one of the black australorps or a Brahma. The chickens raised by hens seem to have more sense and intelligence.

I have a really sweet roo, too. He does the same as yours; if I try to give him a treat, he will take it out of my hand and give it to the girls. Was a sweetie! And he's SO pretty, too! I just got him a month ago. My friend told me he was an EE (she hatched him from a blue egg!) but I suspect he was supposed to be an olive egger b/c he strongly resembles a marans roo, feathered legs and all.

Back
Top Bottom