Barred Rock rooster - mixed breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Frizzlett98, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I don't have a picture that shows this but my Barred Rock rooster , Larry, which I was told he was just Barred Rock, has some tiny brown-ish yellow feathers on the back of his neck. Could he be mixed or is this normal for a purebred Barred Rock? Thanks in advance!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Some of the hatchery Barred Rocks I've had have had odd colored red/yellow feathers here or there... the APA standard actually says that Red or Yellow in any part of the plumage is a disqualification, so it obviously happens even in purebred show birds... it is just unwanted / incorrect.

3. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I don't think these are hatchery but I wasn't told they weren't either. Thanks

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Too bad you can't post a picture. I'm wondering, based on your description, if Larry is a Black Sex Link cockerel. They look a lot like Barred Rocks but usually with some reddish feathers in the neck or saddle. Because Black Sex Link male chicks look exactly like Barred Rock chicks, they sometimes in up in a hatchery's Barred Rock brooder with the Barred Rock chicks by mistake.

5. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Well I'm sure he's a Barred Rock but the feathers had me wondering. I saw a Barred Rock today with those same feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by