Barred Rock rooster or hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goldies99, Nov 7, 2012.

1. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i got what i thought were 3 barred rock pullets....one is a mixed breed but i am pretty sure she is a hen.....but i am not so sure about these 2....they are looking like roos to me!....i got them at about 4 weeks....and i mentioned to the guy i got them from that they looked like roos to me....he said they were all suppose to be pullets....i really feel ripped off!!!....a mixed breed and 2 boys!!!...thank you for anyone who can help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    They look like boys to me. And I'm not a barred rock person, but I think they are supposed to have yellow legs so might not even be barred rocks. [​IMG]

3. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    How old are they now?

I think it's one and one. Looks like the one on the left is a hen, and the othe one is a roo.

Barred Rock males are supposed to be lighter than the females... I think,,,

SOmeoe who knows far more than I will let you know.

Good Luck!

MB

4. goldies99

Jul 22, 2011
    i think you could be right...the one that i think is a hen (not in the pic) looks like a RIR and BR mix....these 2 look to me like they have a little bit of brown around their necks...i dont think you can see it in the picture.....i guess i wouldnt mind so much if they were just mixed breeds if they were hens!!!...but i am thinking boys too!!!...neither have started to crow....they are about 18 weeks old

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    both roos might be bls roos

6. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Those both look like roosters to me, and I've had one. I would take them back to that guy, you can sex barred rocks at birth, he probably knew what they were.

Does your mixed breed look like this?

[​IMG]

He was my barred rock/red sex link mix.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Barred roosters but not full Rocks, they're black sex links or other wise mixed. Go back to your seller and see if he will make it right.

Oh, and you might want to post a pic of the other bird, just in case..................

8. RainyChicks

RainyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Only the tiny one on the left in the first picture is a hen, the other two are roosters. They look like they have been crossed or are black sex links.

9. goldies99

Jul 22, 2011
    the 2 in the pic are the ones i am wondering about.....you think the one on the left is a hen?...you dont think both are roosters??...i will post a pic of the other mix one i have.....i called the man...he told me he sold out of chickens and doesnt sell them any more...and your right....i think he knew just what he was doing and didnt care....:(

10. goldies99

Jul 22, 2011
    here is another shot of the smaller one....maybe a better look at the tail
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by