Barred Rock Rooster or Hen?

FaustByFault

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
It seems I've had bad luck with my local feed store lately. The last barred rock 'pullet' I had purchased turned out to be a boy.

Here is my latest little addition to my flock. S/He is 3 weeks old (a bit early to know for sure, I realize) and starting to resemble my last boy (who now lives in a good home, I assure you).

If she stays as dark as she is now with the dark legs I will be very much relieved. However, her comb is already starting to pink and those huge feet have me a tab bit worried.

So what say you wonderful people (with more experience than me)?

I agree, I think it's a mixed rooster, like a black sex link. I don't think color will be accurate on him, but those legs and comb are telling. You might go ahead and grow him out for a few weeks to be sure, but I'm thinking roo.

has pullet coloring but comb says other wise i'm in between though leaning a bit more towards a pullet....repost when the chick is 15 weeks old

Here is a picture of my Barred Rock MIX! rooster at 4 weeks old for comparison.
idunno.gif
I don't no if this helps.

I think its too early to tell. Those legs do look pretty beefy, though. Do you have any other chicks of the same age to compare the legs to by any chance?

Update: 4 Weeks Old

Feet are even bigger and comb is more pink. (And do I see wattles? At 4 Weeks?) Coloration remains more pullet due to lack of defined bars. But I'm still leaning towards cockerel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom