Barred Rock Rooster or Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by untouchable9850, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Rooster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hen

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. untouchable9850

untouchable9850 New Egg

Apr 7, 2014
    Curious to know if this is a rooster or not, they are just now about 5 months old. I think it is but its my first time having chickens so I just wanted to make sure. thanks

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Those are hens, the one with the bigger redder comb looks like she'll start laying for you soon!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a point-of-lay pullet to me. You should get some eggs soon!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

All females in your pics. Looks like you should be getting eggs any day now.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All look like hens.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Hens 100%!!! They are lovely.

7. Frankie Cook

Frankie Cook New Egg

Jul 19, 2014
    How can you tell a hen from a rooster at 11 weeks old....I have 3 Barred Rock and 3 Buff Orpington? We were told at birth they were all females....have our doubts! What do we look for? There is no picture....sorry!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Rocks are easier to sex at hatch, just as soon as they are fluffed out, by three traits taken together as a group: leg color, head spot size and edge definition and down color. Most BR males, even if you haven't sexed them when they hatch get red combs by less than six weeks of age. A Buff Orpington is not as easy. You have to wait for that big red comb, then you see the pointy shiny saddle feathers that only roosters have come out after about 12 weeks of age.

This article with excellent pics shows how barred breeds are sexed at hatch: http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

Did you get them from a hatchery? Those usually vent sex the chicks when they hatch, an art that us mere mortals rarely learn, though it would be handy to be able to do with breeds that don't sex easily until much later in life.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by