1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barred Rock rooster x Buff Orpington hen cross - what do they look like?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheBanditQueen, Mar 29, 2015.

1. TheBanditQueen

TheBanditQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    We just hatched barnyard mix eggs (to learn how before we get into expensive eggs). The rooster is a Barred Rock, and the hens are Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. We have some of both kinds' eggs in this batch, but I didn't keep track of who hatched from which egg.

What would a Rock male x Orpington female cross look like at hatch? What could they grow up to look like?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The barred Rock male over buff Orp hen is going to give all barred chicks. They'll be mostly black barred with some gold leakage as they age. They'll be a little heavier than the pure Rocks when they mature.

The white legs of an Orp are often dominant, but I'm not sure if that's 100 percent over the yellow of the Rock or not. But any chick with white legs would be from the Orp momma.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  3. TheBanditQueen

TheBanditQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Thanks, Donrae!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by