Barred rock rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crowellcreek, Feb 16, 2014.

1. crowellcreek

crowellcreek New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    La Center Washington
    My chicks are just over 1 week old (mixed flock) and this one barred rock seems different from the rest. The color is lighter with more white than the other barred rocks, the chick is the largest of all 14 with huge feet, and it's the only one who chases my hand around the stock tank brooder attacking and biting me.... Do you it's a rooster?
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm going to guess it's a pullet. Of the four things to look for in Barred Rocks it's got three for pullet.

Smaller, centric head dot? Yup, pullet. Dark wash on front of legs? No, cokerel. Thick legs? no, pullet. Fast feathering? Yup. That's really good wing and tail feathering at one week old.

3. crowellcreek

crowellcreek New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    La Center Washington
    We wouldn't mind having a rooster but with this chicks aggressive personality I'd rather it was a hen. Roosters can be a bit scary when they defend their coop :( yes I'm a bit afraid of roosters after being attacked by a jersey giant rooster....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  4. cholmberg

cholmberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Lewisburg, wv
    I had a jersey giant rooster that was an absolute monster. he ended up in my aunt's stewpot. He was
    downright mean. I don't know if it's a breed trait or not, but the americauna roosters I had were all
    very sweet, had a buff orp roo and a white leghorn roo. . all very respectful and nice. that jersey giant
    roo? just hateful. . .would jump on you and try to spur you every chance he got. Off with his head. . .
    I wasn't down for that. . .so I don't blame you one bit! I was nervous going out to do battle with him
    every day until I finally told my aunt to come get him and cook him.

5. crowellcreek

crowellcreek New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    La Center Washington
    Thanks for your support cholmberg, i feel like quite the chicken admitting my fear of roosters, thats why i was so drawn to the buff Orpingtons in my flock due to their sweet nature, the Ameraucona has a sweet personality ive noticed as well. I used to have to keep granola bars on me so i could get out of my car and into the house... throw the bar out the window to the jersey giant and run to the house.... one day that rooster attacked the golden retrieve and mr. rooster got put down... finally!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by