Barred Rock Roosters?? (PIcture heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChickyMommy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. NewChickyMommy

NewChickyMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    I am 90% certain the first one is a rooster and I'm not sure about the second one? They are about 5 weeks old now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and number 2:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    #1 is not a barred rock, or at least not a pure one. BR have single combs like the second chick. Most likely a boy.

#2 looks a little pink for a pullet, but feathering looks girly. Could go either way.

3. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I second that. I thought somethin was off with #1s comb. #2 does have girly feather barring but a pretty pink comb so it really could go either way

4. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Hmm we were suppose to get a "rare" breed but i didn't think we ended up with one. We ordered the heavy brown egg layers from mcmurray. What other breed do you think it could be? Or just not pure at all?

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    It is probably a dominique - hatchery birds are very similar looking to barred rocks except they have a rose comb (flat). That could be your "rare breed" except they're not at all rare.

6. It is a domnique AKA domniquer[​IMG]

7. NewChickyMommy

Mar 1, 2012
    West Virginia
    Thank you! It looks ALOT like a Dominique and as a chick it looked like the chick pictures I have seen (which to me are very similiar to a barred rock). I am now excited to see if it turns out to be one! Do you think it could still be a rooster? I sure hope not!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both are cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by