Barred Rock Second Thoughts

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dfalchek, Jan 13, 2015.

1. dfalchek

dfalchek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    I recently ordered my first small flock – 4 pullets to be picked up from a reputable hatchery/farm specializing show and rare breeds in late March – and now I'm having a crisis over my selection of a Barred Rock. I picked breeds on the basis of cold hardiness, friendliness, suitability for confinement, dual purpose. BR seemed to hit those, and I recognize it as a great, All-American breed. While I hear barred rocks described a docile and good with people, I see A LOT of anecdotal reports of BR s being unfriendly, mean, dominant, anti-social and bossy with other birds. The other breeds I have I understand are very docile, meek even – EE, Swedish Flower, and Buff Orp. I understand the need for jockeying for a pecking order. But I don't the other three to incessantly bullied by a BR in coops and run battles. I'm thinking about swapping out the BR for another breed and wanted to hear thought of experienced chicken keepers. Thank you.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Making over generalized statements about birds and their possible temperament based solely on "breed" is one of the most widely held myths in this hobby. This is a commonly held misconception.

Each bird is different and much more important than "breed" is which strain out of which the birds were bred. The only way of knowing the potential characteristics of a bunch of chicks is to have first hand knowledge of the disposition of the parent stock. Everything is conjecture, I'm afraid.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How much space will your birds be living in? That plays heavily into triggering/not triggering a certain degree of potential for aggressive nature. *I* have never had any issue with BR and aggression that I would attribute to their breed - or had individual birds that were any more/less aggressive than the best/worst personalities of other breeds I've kept.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think those 4 breeds will work out fine together.
    Some of the rocks may rise to the top but some may also be at the bottom of the totem pole.

Most breeds will eventually get along.
    I wouldn't put Rhode Island Reds with silkies or polish or some similar combination but yours should be fine.

Growing up together will help a great deal.

1 person likes this.
  5. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa

Understood. Interesting you raised growing up together. I struggled with chicks vs started chicks. I'll be getting mine at around 10-22 weeks of age and expect to put them right into the coop. I wondered about the pros and cons of that. NOw that I have sources for chicks, my next flock will be from chicks. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. dfalchek

Dec 20, 2014
    Scranton, Pa
    Good point. The coop is 4 x 4, so they will have 16 square feet of floor space inside. Also, they will have an enclosed, covered run of 40 square feet. I hope to let them out of the run for a while in the late afternoon most days. I understand that lots of space translates to peace!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I never had it,but I did accurate research,and from what I hear,theyy are pretty docile.
    Now,I don't know what may be going on,but if your looking for more docile,nice good layers I know a few.

First I'll start off with red birds.
    I suggest on getting a Newhampshire Red,production red,or/and redsex links.
    I have had personal experience with rhode island reds,and I've heard stories about aggression.
    Mines were very aggressive,but tge 1 hen I have now;which is a rir,is very docile,that's only because she is low in the pecking order.

Black birds.
    Black sex links are good and docile,but not too nice towards other birds.
    They have strong immune systems.
    Australirps are nice,great layers!

Good luck!
    ThePRfab

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do some research here about introducing new birds, there have been plenty of discussions on the topic.

16 sq. ft. is about right for 4 large fowl.

9. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I've had one Barred Rock before and she was an angel.

10. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California
    EE temperament is hard to predict because they are mutts and you don't often know their background. I have 2 EEs -- one is sweet and quiet, the other is a loud jerk. My barred rock is the oldest (by 2 weeks) and is at the top of the pecking order. She is a little bossy, but not in a unkind way at all. She's a great flock leader with great fun personality and doesn't bully. She's more bossy with humans. When she honks and talks to me, I'm pretty sure she's demanding more treats and worms. I have 6 more younger teenage chickens, and while the BR lets them know she's boss (she has a mean stare), she doesn't really peck, bite or chase them, not even the super docile and timid ones, like my Ameraucana, Swedish Flower and Faverolles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by