Barred Rock seems a bit behind her sister...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Manda07, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Manda07

Manda07 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Any thoughts on my cute Barred Rock Amelia... Our other BR Martha is in the background and she has so many more feathers than Ameila and is much darker. Looking at other's post I am afraid she might be a boy. Im scared to ask but does anyone have any thoughts. They will be 3 weeks old tomorrow, My husband is already trying to name her Raylan instead lol. I can post better pics tonight if needed. These are just what I had on my phone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

In a couple of weeks, ie, around 5-6 weeks, the BR are very easy to sex. The cockerels will have bright white, wide bars on a charcoal background. The combs begin to pink up, to going red even. Their little red wattles sprout under their chins.

The pullets look dark and their bars are more spotty or cuckoo. The pullets will sprout no wattles and their combs remain very dull yellowish. Hope that helps. You'll know very soon.

[​IMG]

3. Manda07

Nov 21, 2012
    That's very helpful..Thank you! These are my first chicks so of course I am anxious. :)

4. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    You will need a few more weeks to tell, but the headspot looks pretty tight (indicating pullet) and, while the coloring might be a little light for comfort, this chick doesn't scream "roo" to me. Time will tell, but I wouldn't worry now.

5. Manda07

Nov 21, 2012
    So far I like what I am hearing :) Thanks.

6. ChickMommaSD

ChickMommaSD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    We are biting our nails right now and definitely think the one in the front of my profile photo is cockerel but we'll see. Thanks for the info - it helped me too!

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say you undoubtedly have a cockerel

8. Manda07

Nov 21, 2012
    Beautiful birds ChickMommaSD. That's the way our barred rocks are too...one is very dark and the other very very light. I crossing my fingers for ours and for yours :)

9. Manda07

Nov 21, 2012
    Heres some updated pics of her from today.[​IMG][/IMG]

10. Manda07

Nov 21, 2012
    [​IMG] 3.5 weeks old

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by