Barred rock sex--4-5 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Papagena, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Papagena

Papagena Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2015
    We have two barred rocks between 4 and 5 weeks old. Cockerels or pullets?

Chick 1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Farrier

Farrier Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    I'm thinking #1 is a roo and #2 a pullet, but I'm not exactly certain!

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both look like pullets to me.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Given the dark barring and the black wash on the front of their legs, both BR chicks appear to be pullets. :eek:)

5. Papagena

May 15, 2015
    Desperately hoping for pullet on chick #1. She's the sweetest chick in the world [​IMG]

6. rosyamanda2000

rosyamanda2000 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2015
    Twin Falls, ID
    They look like pullets to me. I purchased a barred rock that turned out to be a cockerel. He's pictured in my avatar at around 2 weeks old. His stripes were much more vivid and were lighter - almost white and gray. He also started getting red undertones to his comb starting at around two weeks. I have a female barred rock who is about 8-9 weeks and she looks very much like yours. Another difference I noticed between my boy and girl BRs (may be unrelated to gender???) is my girl has a dark wash across the front of her legs while my boy has solid yellow legs.

7. Papagena

May 15, 2015
    Here are some pics of them together for reference. Chick #1 is on the right in both photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Farrier

Nov 17, 2014
    Maybe I need to get my eyes looked at. I definitely see 1 roo and one pullet!?!

9. Papagena

May 15, 2015
    @Farrier
    I think I'm seeing what you're seeing: lighter feather color and slightly pinker comb. The only thing that's baffling me is that the possible roo has darker leg wash than the definite pullet

10. Farrier

Nov 17, 2014
    I do see what you mean about the wash, but that is one heck of a comb for a 5 week old pullet. Also the leg colour in general seems a little off. I mean they're kinda yellow, but not really.

In the interest of full disclosure; I have never owned a barred rock and likely never will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by